The Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library seeks an after-school STEAM program facilitator. This free, weekly children’s program is designed to help develop and nurture school-aged children’s skills in science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics. The program will resume beginning mid-January 2018, with the Fall semester to be utilized for curriculum module development and existing after-school program review.
The intern must be motivated and well-organized, with a strong interest in the sciences and in working with school-aged children. The Library’s preference is for an individual with science instruction experience, or a student working toward a degree in Education, Early Childhood Development, or related field.
• Develop series of short curriculum modules in sciences (electronics, simple robotics, mathematics, coding, etc.) that can later be utilized by Library staff and volunteers
• Engage and lead children in planned activities weekly, from mid-January through end of April, 2018
• Help in creating a safe, welcoming environment for program participants
• Promote activities that build and strengthen STEAM skills and lifelong learning
• Understand and adhere to library policies, procedures and rules
Preferred Skills and/or Experience:
• Background in sciences, technology, engineering, art or mathematics
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience working with elementary-aged children
• Creative thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently
• Self-motivated and well-organized
• Dynamic interpersonal skills; tactful, cheerful, enthusiastic, positive, good sense of humor
Fall semester 2017, preferably by September 15th.
3-4 hours per week during the Fall and Spring Semester
This is a grant-funded position and is expected to last at least the duration of the school year.
To be considered, please mail or email a completed City if Vermillion employment application, cover letter, and resume to:
Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library
18 Church St
Vermillion, SD 57069