Do you have experience working with youth? We’re looking for a new Program Aid to assist with our youth programming. The position is currently open, until filled. Details below:
Date Posted: 8/4/2017
Department: Public Library
Deadline: Open until filled
This position reports to the Youth Services Librarian with a focus on young adult programming. This position helps develop, run and expand programming and activities both at the library and through outreach. The position will also perform entry level library clerical work in the circulation of library materials, handling of patron requests, shelving and filing.
1) Some evenings and weekends required
2) 6-10 hours per week during spring, winter and fall
3) 30-40 hours per week during summer reading programming (normally June and July)
4) Flexibility to adjust schedule for programming and circulation desk coverage
Essential Job Functions
1) Schedule, plan and conduct programming in coordination with the Youth Services Librarian, with a focus on young adult programming
2) Requests, organizes and maintains teen programming materials such as games, equipment and snacks
3) Collaborates with schools, teachers and other youth services workers to promote the library and share programming
4) Provides support and assistance with children’s and adult programming as needed
5) Uses social media to promote children’s and young adult library programs and services
6) Composes and submits monthly reports and teen event statistics
7) Helps maintain a comfortable library atmosphere for teens including maintenance of YA area
8) Greets visitors to the library and provides friendly, high-quality customer service to library users
9) Performs circulation duties and procedures including: loaning and returning materials, placing reserves, checking in materials, shelving materials, checking for damaged materials, taking interlibrary loan requests
10) Assists patrons signing up for new library cards
11) Any one position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties which may be found in this position
Other Job Functions
1) Provide suggestions for new print and digital acquisitions for young adults
2) Organizing and reshelving returned library materials
3) Responds to general telephone questions
4) Maintains neat and orderly circulation desk
5) Assists patrons in the use of library services and facilities
6) Operates library equipment
7) Shelf reading of library stacks to ensure an easy to use and accessible collection
8) May be cross-trained to assist in other library units/departments
9) Performs other tasks, duties and projects as assigned
Works under immediate supervision of the Youth Services Librarian
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
1) Ability to engage with young adults in a warm, friendly way with humor, energy, flexibility and persistence. Understanding of teens irregular attendance or responses
2) Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patrons and staff
3) Excellent written and oral communication skills
4) Experience working with common technology hardware and software such as Microsoft Office products, PCs, tablets, copiers, fax machines and email
5) Ability to troubleshoot technology hardware/software and gaming equipment
6) Experience with social media websites, video creation and basic digital photography
7) Ability to follow the policies and procedures of the Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library
Education – High School diploma or GED.
Experience – Experience with and enjoyment in working with young adults. Public service experience preferred. Library or book store experience beneficial.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle and feel, operate office equipment, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear, and walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
The employee must also be able to read and write, and follow oral and written instructions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee primarily works indoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.