What is 1000 Books Before Kindergarten?
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a free program that encourages families to read together. This early exploration of books fosters early literacy skills and helps build a love of reading. This is an ongoing program that can be started any time and can be accomplished at your own speed. All children younger than Kindergarten are welcome to participate! The goal is to read 1000 books before your child starts kindergarten – and we promise it’s easier than it sounds. You are more than welcome to repeat the same books (kids love repetition – and they benefit from it too!) and you can count books that others read to your child as well. While this may seem like a large goal, it is very doable.
Take a look:
1 book/day x 3 years = 1095 books
3 books/day x 1 year= 1095 books
5 books/week x 4 years = 1040 books
10 books/week x 2 years = 1040 books
Why is it important?
Not only is reading to your child a wonderful way to bond and enjoy time together, but it also provides early literacy skills that will give your child a great head start in school.
- Children that read have larger vocabularies by the time they enter kindergarten and are more successful in school
- Development of reading skills starts at birth
- A child’s ability to learn language skills is highest before the age of six
How do you participate?
- Go to vermillionlibrary.readsquared.com or stop in/call the library for assistance
- Log your reading
- Celebrate the milestones with us along the way to 1,000 books!
Logging your reading and reaching milestones:
- There are a few different ways to log your progress:
- For each 100 book milestone, your child will receive a sticker and maybe even some other small surprises along the way!
- As you read, your child’s name will progress along our reading wall at the library for everyone to see!
Reaching 1000 books!
Once your child has reached 1000 books, they will have completed the program and will receive:
- Your very own book to keep!
- A 1000 Books Before Kindergarten certificate
- A place on our reading wall, showing you have successfully completed the program
- With your permission – your child’s name and/or photo will be shared on our social media and in our newsletter!